Professionalising medical leadership and management
FMLM is committed to identifying, growing and applying the evidence base for leadership and leadership development. From 2013 – 2015 FMLM, The King’s Fund and the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) conducted a literature review of the evidence base for leadership in healthcare and published Leadership and Leadership Development in Health Care: The Evidence Base.
The Leadership and management standards for medical professionals set out the behaviours needed for medical leadership and management practice across the UK health sector. The standards are:
- designed specifically for medical professionals working in the UK, from all specialties, career stages and across all sectors involving healthcare
- derived from and build upon General Medical Council guidance, Leadership and management for all doctors, UK national leadership frameworks and models, and research on medical leadership, management and engagement
- used by doctors and by organisations for professional and organisational development.
This medical leadership diagnostic has been developed to support doctors at all career stages: team member, team leader, operational leader and strategic leader. It is:
- informed by experts and designed specifically for doctors to gain insight into their own leadership behaviours and performance, available at several levels for all career stages
- based around the behaviours associated with effective leadership and management, as articulated in the Leadership and management standards for medical professionals
- developmental, helping doctors to become more effective as a leaders.
We have launched Founding Fellowship of FMLM in 2016. Three levels of certification will provide members with an opportunity to be assessed and recognised for their leadership.